Wednesday 26 August 2009

I’m 16 Again, and Looking for Gas Money

How did that happen? I ran out with a $20 in my hand. Went to the printers to make them re-print something I should have checked before I left the place.

Then as I was driving towards Timmy’s to get our daily iced cap fix, the dummy-fill-your-tank light comes on in my car. Okay, one more stop to make. Gas right next door to Timmy’s, so we’re good.

I pull up to the pump and get out, grabbing my wallet to use my debit card. . . crap – where is it? Can’t find it. Okay – will use credit card instead. WHERE IS IT?

Sigh.

I have no money, except the money for iced caps and lunch (need groceries, too.)

So I pull out of the gas station and sit there for a minute – what to do? Iced caps or gas to get home?

I decide to get the drinks and use 10 bucks for gas. That leaves a couple of bucks left over for value meal lunches.

So I scrape as much change as possible for the gas attendant and manage to give her 10 bucks without touching the other money. I am so proud that we can still have lunch (pathetic, I know) when I dump the 10 bucks on her counter and tell her  that I’ll take 10 bucks on #2.

I go out and pump but it doesn’t stop at $10 – I notice this at $13.46

ACK!

So I dig for more change and have the attendant help me count it out.

And I made it. And got our frosty iced caps and lunch. Wahoo! What an accomplishment, right?

But still – I felt 16 again when scraping for gas money to get anywhere with the pals that had the wheels.

All because I left my cards at home. Sheesh.