Saturday 31 January 2009

About The Sims 3

 I’m not convinced that anyone even reads my blog, even though the hit counter says there is at least a peek or two.

Today, I think I must confess my fear of The Sims 3.

Truthfully, I was fine with the original Sim City – that came out about 20 years ago or so. Then  EA Games went deeper into the city and developed The Sims – the first of its kind, allowing people like me with serious control issues and a God complex to create and rule right down to the bathroom detail, the lives of virtual Sims.

After five or six upgrade packs, my favourite being Sims Superstar – where you could make your Sims famous, EA Games went all 3-D virtual reality and came up with The Sims 2.

Now this game – wow – it feeds the creative soul like no other game can. I can build mansions, populate gardens with gorgeous plant-life, and even hire a gardener to make sure it all stays in perfect condition.

My Sims have amazing careers (one as a professional party guest). They can live on the ocean, on the lake, in the mountains, in the city.

It’s the greatest virtual escape ever created, as long as you have the patience to create within the game’s realm.

So the Sims 2 has been around for a few years – and it seems that every 6  months or so they come up with yet another expansion pack. Most of them are no more than 20 bucks, but once you add up a few expansion packs – it gets a little pricey.

And I was happy with my second generation Sims. I even gave the old games to my neighbour, but she is now into the Sims 2 as well.

Uh. Oh.

The Sims 3 promises more than I could ever imagine with the Sims 2. But that means I will have to leave my other Sims behind – and I’m not sure I’m ready to do that.

But the third generation looks a little too tempting. . .