Sunday 12 September 2010

I Got My Exercise Today . . .

At the Catholic church. Stand up, sit down, kneel, genuflect, repeat with such regularity that you have no idea what the priest is talking about.

The singing. . . where is the passion? I understand that some need ritual, some need the hymns of old to remind them of how the church came to power, why the Catholics know what they are doing.

It makes it hard for us mere mortals to stay awake.

The priest told great stories of the prodigal son. And we all need to hear that one once in a while.

There was a banner hanging above our heads that said “Our Lady of Ransom”. I looked at my husband and asked “Did Mary get kidnapped?” When I politely asked the sweet lady next to me what that meant, she had no idea – and she was wearing one of those little CWL pins (Catholic Women’s League).

I know the Catholic church fulfills the spiritual needs of so many, but I certainly didn’t get it.

Catholics? Anyone? I mean no disrespect. I still think we’re all going to be surprised when we get to the great hereafter (shouldn’t it really be after-here?).

I will happily accept comments on how the Catholic church feeds your soul.