Monday 31 May 2010

Canadian and U.S. Holidays – What’s a Girl To Do?

So I live in Canada. And even if I’m not Canadian by birth, I’ve lived here long enough to feel Canadian.

I celebrate Canadian holidays, which, for the most part, are the same as those in my motherland, the U.S.A.

Being a ‘mercan, born and bred, I feel I have the right to celebrate the holidays of my homeland, right?

Really, it’s not much of a stretch. Canada celebrated Victoria day, or the May-2-4 weekend, as it’s commonly called here. It was last weekend.

Today is Memorial Day in the U.S. But I’m not living there. So really, I guess I shouldn’t celebrate, right? It’s a normal workday here. . .

But I think I will take the day off anyway. Because when it comes time for me to take my oath of Canadian citizenship, I want to keep my U.S. rights as well.

And I certainly don’t want to take the change that I will lose my U.S. citizenship because I didn’t follow their holiday traditions.

Yup, that settles it. X-Box 360 anyone?