Sunday 21 December 2008

Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:20 p.m.

The Sunday before Christ-mas. You may wonder why I hyphenate Christ-mas. If you're a believer, you know why. If you're not. . .  why do you celebrate?

What does Christmas mean to you? There are many meanings that people attribute to Christmas, and there are many reasons to celebrate, according to the world-at-large.

But here's what the deal is people: Christ-mas might be a symbolic holiday for the celebration of the birth of Christ.

I am a believer in the teachings of Christ. I believe he is all about unconditional love, about being bummed by the sin, but forgiving of the sinner.

Let's look at the meaning of unconditional love.

LOVE WITHOUT CONDITIONS; LOVE REGARDLESS OF______________ (fill the blank with your own no-way-item).

Duh.

So, no more 'if you love me you will or won't'...

No more 'I'd love you if you were or weren't'...

Love everyone. Even if you don't know them. Love doesn't have to be some over-the-top freak-fest either. There are all sorts of love - and when I use it here, I mean friend-love or family-love. Let's not start some weird kissing-random-romance-love-thing. That's just too weird.

Just assume the best about someone before (and if) they will prove you wrong. Don't see the bad in a person based only on appearance, skin colour, shoe choice, job choice; whatever idiotic prejudice you use. See the good. Choose your battles in life based on this rule - NO conditions. You'll be amazed how it will change your life.

I Don't mean to be preachy, just know what I'm talking about.

So no judgement. It's not your job.

Everyone is your friend, regardless demographic what-EVER. We're all just people.

As Avril Lavigne sings, "How does it feel to be you, are you different from me, are we the same? How does it feel?"

Anyway - practice the art of unconditional love this season and every day thereafter. I am absolutely convinced that if we could all do that - there would be no such thing as war, hunger, or homelessness. Poverty, crime and abuse would be non-existent.

Quite a concept, right?

Okay, I know I'm being sappy. Maybe it's Wynonna singing on an episode of Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. David Beckham was on, and I'm just all mushy with unconditional love for him. . . .ahem.