Thursday 22 May 2008

Washington DC Scares Me. . . But Only a Little

 

Oh, my adventures in D.C. Okay, that’s too much of a build-up. But I did have fun, saw many things, had my picture taken with Barrack Obama, and managed to get away from the DEA, the Department of Homeland Security and the Pentagon virtually unscathed.

I say virtually because my feet will never be the same after walking approximately 42 miles in just under three days. In flip-flops.

Our view outside the hotel room was of the Pentagon. I’ve never been so up-close-and-personal to the behemoth, and could have walked to their front door in less than 20 minutes.

Our view was also of the side of the Pentagon that was hit on September 11th, 2001. The wall has long since been rebuilt, with white markers where windows would be. It made me wonder if it the white rectangles are markers or memorials for those that perished there. It was a stark reminder, and one of the few serious moments of our trip.

To the left of our hotel was a group of high-rise, mirrored buildings. Imposing for their sheer size alone, the cameras at the top of every corner, as well as the posted guard houses at every entrance had my spidey-senses tingling. These had to be important buildings.

Peter and I noticed a flag flapping in the wind. We waited for it to unfurl before we read the following words on its cotton: Department of Homeland Security. Gulp.

If I was a terrorist, I might’ve been a little nervous. Peter found out that the building right next door to DHS housed the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency). Cool.

Big Brother much?

Again, if I was a bad girl, I might’ve decided to just go back to my room, sit quietly and wait for our flight home.

But I'm only kind of naughty, so that didn't work.

Peter and I were wandering through the super-mall that was just on the other side of the scary-agency-offices when we “met” Senator Barrack Obama and Senator Hilary Clinton. They were both so approachable and easy to talk to. They were accommodating but strangely silent. I never realized how short Clinton is. I’m not sure she could see over the desk in the oval office should she get elected. And seriously, I don't get that frightened look in her eyes.

The last time I was in DC, I was way too intimidated to take the subway. Okay, maybe I was scared. But this time Peter was with me, and descending down those gaping black holes into the dark tunnels of noisy trains below wasn’t as scary as going alone. Of course, my overactive imagination was waiting for any number of aliens, monsters, scary homeless tunnel zombies or serial killers to come lurching out at me from the vast blackness. As we sped along one of those black tunnels, an ad for Speed Racer appeared on the wall outside the train. I almost screamed. Who was showing movies in the subway tunnels? I was sure it was the scary zombie dudes, and was glad the train raced on by.

So we survived. Homeland Security, Reagan National Airport, The Pentagon and the DEA. And as always, I can’t wait to go back. I’m an American (though I qualify for Canadian citizenship this year!), and D.C. is like Mecca for me.

Maybe next time we’ll stay in Arlington Cemetery or something, and I’ll get to see the ghost of the Unknown Soldier and John F. Kennedy playing poker.

 

IMG_3134 IMG_3144 IMG_3136