Saturday 2 February 2008

The Writers' Strike is Killing Us, One Reality Show at a Time!

With no end in sight to the Writer’s Guild of America strike, it’s time to come up with something else to do than watch television.


Unfortunately for me, it’s the middle of winter and outside scares me.


So what is a person to do who is addicted to television and is afraid of icy winter conditions? And please don’t try and get all superior on me and tell me I’m the only one with this particular personality combination. I have statistics to back up my claims.


Here is one good thing about the writers’ strike. Commercial breaks are shorter because nobody wants to advertise on a reality show or a third-time-run program. Yay for that.

The strike also expands the mind. Hear me out. Hopefully all of us are aware of this strike, are thinking about it and maybe taking a side. Our minds expand with the knowledge that it’s so much more than the ‘stars’ of whatever shows are on the idiot box. The Daily Show (now A Daily Show to show solidarity with the strikers) is amusing, but not nearly as razor-sharp funny without John Stewart’s brilliant crew of writers.


The strike also expands the mind by forcing you to watch new shows if you can’t find the OFF button on your remote. I’ve been enjoying a couple of new choices because I have no idea where my OFF button is, and my Tivo likes to work overtime.


Did you know that Scott Baio is 45 and Still Single (at press time, Scott Baio is now 46 and married with child, after he 'manned-up' and droppedhis Lothario ways.)?


When I was 12, my dream was to marry him (after I’d given up on my dream of Donny Osmond), so my curiosity was more than piqued by this reality show. After two episodes, its’ clear to me why he stayed single for so long.


Did you know that 80% of The Real Housewives of Orange County have had some sort of plastic surgery, and they all live in some form of gated community? Is it any wonder I’m happier in Canada? Way too many expectations back on the home-turf.


The Donald (Trump) has an even tighter grip on the reality wagon handles with his latest reality offering in Pageant Place, a ‘show’ about the current title holders of Miss USA, America, Universe and Teen USA, a conglomerate he owns. He takes all his current title holders and makes them live in a house for a year while the cameras are rolling. Let’s just say that this is not a glamorous picture of the franchise, and it wouldn’t surprise me if participation in these pageants dropped dramatically. I thought this was supposed to be about poise and beauty and education? Something about a scholarship? HA!


And what’s worse? I watched it. With fascinated horror, and maybe a little bit of glee.


Come spring when it’s no longer a danger to my aging parts to have a nice long walk outside, this won’t be an issue for me anymore. I will be able to find the OFF button because what’s outside in Lanark County is infinitely more interesting than what’s on the tube.


But until then, let’s support our writers. Watching the further deterioration of television alone should prove how important and talented these people are. Click the link to get an understanding of what the WGA strike is all about.


And if we don’t get the writers back soon, I can’t be held responsible for my further deterioration into the voyeuristic realm of peeking in the windows of someone else’s life through ‘reality’ television.